Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Quilt

I was scouring through my old closet the other day
when I found the patchwork quilt Granny once gave me.
It looked soiled with a tinge of orange and yellow
and a portion's torn out just a little down below.

The black triangle that served as axis to the rest
had turned to grey with a whitish crest.
It was surrounded with greens and soft earth tones.
Quite a hard mix, it seemed overblown.

The colors on the left are quite a delight,
an array of pastels all stark and bright.
The patterns vary from yellows and blues.
What a slew of exclusion and excellent hues!

The orange swatch made all the overt difference.
It was so dark and vivid, it gleams with luminescence.
While the block at the right stars in beaming pride
with all the reds and pinks sewn in gleeful vibe.

Whatever the reason why Grandma made it for me,
be it a legacy or a mere present for my birthday.
I would forever hold it close and shall never part
for this is how much she loved me, she gave me her heart.

http://zyphe.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rachel:
Family, across generations, represents a powerful and often inexplicable force that we forget to tap into and protect. I love the peace you project with this poem.
:)Kurt
Poetspeak Editor