Thursday, October 05, 2006

Power

The first thing when I come home after work
I let the dogs out
And turn on my computer
To check e-mail messages
Having done that
I make a cup of coffee
Take it outside
Walk through my garden

Now, the datura is blooming
When I touch it, it leaves a distinctive smell on my fingers
Potent, almost toxic, peppery
It’s hard to describe

I keep going back to it
There’s power there

Some days it seems
That the world is vibrant with power
The plants, bees, hummingbirds, jays and air
Shimmer with it

This is the contrast
This is the discontinuity in our lives

We go from work to home
Home to chores
Chores to our beds
Our beds to work

At any moment
We can step outside
Outside of it
All of it

by Frank Vehafric

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Frank:
I love the "power" connection; so often we urbanize our environment to asphalt and meaningless glitter and lose the opportunity to touch and walk in nature.
Well done!
:)Kurt Kristensen