Tuesday, June 27, 2006

What pleased me today?

What pleased me today?
The first small handful
Of raspberries from the garden
My morning coffee sipped in the car
A silky smooth rush of acceleration
On route 26 driving west
A tuna sandwich
Leaving work an hour early
Mexican food with my wife
Greetings from the dogs
Short nap spooned with Emily
A report from Corvallis
On successful organic chemistry final exam
A small wedge of aged cheddar
On ritz cracker
Robins in nest on back porch
Lapsang Souchong tea
The evening air when I let the cat in
The wood grain of the library table
Where I sit at laptop to write
The touch of keyboard
This
Doing this


by Frank Vehafric

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank-

When I read your lovely poem I keep searching for punctuations and conventions to guide my reading. As an example,the version below helps me read your poem with pause, reflection and, it gives me time to taste the images.

-Kurt

What pleased me today ...

The first small handful
Of raspberries from the garden,
My morning coffee sipped in the car.
A silky smooth rush of acceleration
On route 26 driving west.
A tuna sandwich -

Leaving work an hour early,
Mexican food with my wife.
Greetings from the dogs,
Short nap spooned with Emily.
A report from Corvallis,
On successful organic chemistry final exam.

A small wedge of aged cheddar
On ritz cracker.
Robins in nest on back porch,
Lapsang Souchong tea.

The evening air when I let the cat in ...

The wood grain of the library table
Where I sit at laptop to write,
The touch of keyboard.

This ...
Doing this.

You captured the imagery like one breath rushing out, and for many people it might be hard to read, or listen to the same sustained magic; thus my pauses.

Happy summer,

Kurt

Frank Vehafric said...

I think your point is well taken on the punctuation, not sure I agree on the stanza breaks. I want it to be in one smooth rush, like the acceleration on route 26, but some turn indicators might be nice.