Saturday, September 28, 2013

Daddy's Money

All the gold and riches Daddy made,
Have done to me, more harm than good.
The calling of a dollar, I eagerly obeyed,
But happiness was something, I never understood.

Oh how I loved the lime light, and the company of rich folks,
I, the prodigal son, who played so well, the part of clown.
I kept them all in stitches, plied with drink and smoke,
As I led my jolly caravan, all about the town.

Fast cars and faster women, were at my beckoned call,
Just a snap of my fingers, lay them at my feet.
Though I sat tall in my saddle, I was riding, for a fall,
Never could play by the rules, always had to cheat.

Once I had a wife, she was a keeper I would wager,
Had hair of silk and eyes that twinkled bright.
But my antics and behavior, seemed only to enrage her,
Then she left my gilded tower, when she finally saw the light.

But my pals, they still love me, because I’ve got lots of money,
When I foot the bill, They all tell me that I’m swell.
All the guys pat my back and the girls, they call me honey,
You bet, I’m always smiling, truth is I live in Hell.

I’ve never had a callous, upon my hands so soft,
Never spent a day, toiling in a filthy ditch.
I never saw the wonder, in the Moon and stars aloft,
Never had to work or worry, never found my niche.

The misery is killing me, Somehow it has to end,
I’m headed for oblivion, down the road I trod.
I need so much, but most of all ,I need a friend,
He’s been there all along for me, I found my friend in God.

Michael J Barker           2003

No comments: